March 27, 2013

The Powers of Black Soap



Nubian Heritage African Black Soap, $4.99 @ Whole Foods 

I've been on the lookout for black soap for a while now and found a bar at Whole Foods the other day. They have an assortment of black soap based body washes -- which looked amazing, but I was on a mission for a new facial bar. They only seemed to carry this one brand. It's the Nubian Heritage African Black Soap with Oats, Aloe and Vitamin E. This bar is said to have "anti-blemish, detoxifying, and healing" properties. I've always heard great things about black soap but never actually tried it. 

My skin hasn't been at its best lately so I wanted to switch up my facial regimen  Since using this product I've noticed my skin has cleared up a lot and fast. I've only been using this for a few days and I've already noticed results. 

I do oil based scrubs from time to time, and this soap is strong enough to remove oil. It is also gentle enough that it leaves the skin soft -- probably because of it's high content of natural oils and butters. A lot of people are terrified of the idea of putting oils on their face. In actuality, natural oils can do good things for your skin. Oil dissolves oil. So if you have oily skin, oil based scrubs are great for removing dirt and oil from your pores. Oil bases are also best for make up removal. I find African black soap to be perfect for washing off oil bases (make up remover, oil scrubs...and the like) because it doesn't completely strip the skin of oils like harsher soaps do. 


Ingredients:
100% Vegetable soap: African Black Soap Base, Soap Base, Organic Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Organic Shea Butter, Oat Kernel Meal, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Plantain Extract, Vitamin E, Vegetable Glycerin, Mineral Pigment or Vegetable Color, Essential Oil Blend.





General benefits of black soap:
  • Sooth/heal/reduce acne scarring
  • Sooth irritated skin
  • Moisturizes
  • Helps regulate oily skin
  • Make up removal
  • Multi-purpose (useful for body, face, and hair) 
  • Exfoliates 
  • Supports global economies (black soap base is usually imported from Africa) 

1 comment:

Any insight?