February 28, 2012

DIY: Button Earrings


I found these buttons upstairs in my jewelry box that I saved from an old pea coat. I also happened to find some gold earring-backs in my mom's gallery. One of the many nice things about being back home in NJ for Spring break. I don't stumble upon anything all that inspiring in my tiny studio apartment back in Ann Arbor. Ever.  But, anyways, I thought they would make great earrings. After toying with every glue that exists pretty much, I realized that simple hot glue works the best. And within minutes (well, actually all day after struggling with glue) I had a new pair of earrings.


Then, of course, I had to make more. So I figured out a way to make my own buttons with wooden studs (sold at Michael's) and some fun fabric that I cut out of an old patched-work shirt that I bought a million years ago and never wore. I don't have pictures of the process, but basically, you just cut out small squares of fabric, wrap them around the wooden studs and do all of the gluing in the back. The goal is to make a bunch (along with  whatever else I can manage making) to sell in an art show this Summer.  I'm already in love with DIY as it is, but DIY projects are even more great when you are not only saving money, but making money, too.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Any insight?