May 30, 2012

Glazing in the studio




My mom and I have been getting ready for the art show for a while now. She is selling pottery at her booth and I'll be selling smaller things like earrings, journals, and stationary at my booth. She just recently got through her final bisque fire of pots, which means it's time to glaze. She made a ton of stuff! I spent some time in the studio with my sisters helping her with glazing. My mom pretty much hates glazing -- but I don't. I think glazing is actually fun because you really have no idea what the final result will look like. Different combinations of glazes will have totally different effects and even if you try the same combination twice, it may still look totally different. Even though glazing is kind of an art that does itself, it's still possible for everyone to develop their own styles of glazing which always shine through after the glazed pieces are fired. 

These aren't fired yet, so they look pretty dull for now. It's pretty much like painting with watery dust. In the kiln, the glaze melts into a kind of glass and they look a lot nicer. I'll post pics of those when they are done.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Any insight?